“With Rents continuing to climb and interest rates staying low, many renters find themselves gazing over the homeownership fence and wondering if the grass really is greener. Leaving aside, for the moment, the difficulties of saving for a down payment, let’s focus on the monthly expenses of owning a home: it turns out that renters currently paying the median rent in many markets could afford to buy a higher-quality property than the typical (read: median-valued) home without increasing their monthly expenses.”
What proof exists that owning is financially better than renting?1. The latest Rent Vs. Buy Report from Trulia pointed out the top 5 financial benefits of homeownership:
- Mortgage payments can be fixed while rents go up.
- Equity in your home can be a financial resource later.
- You can build wealth without paying capital gain.
- A mortgage can act as a forced savings account
- Overall, homeowners can enjoy greater wealth growth than renters.